Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Regroup

I have now reached that point in the semester when I stop complaining, get up, and try to find a solution to the problems I'm experiencing. It's time for the regroup.

First, one must recognize and identify the challenges.

In regards to Las Mierdas:

1. The very nature of an "after school" class screams misbehavior. The students are fresh out of sitting still and focusing their attention for eight hours. Then, in an act of sheer desperation to go wild, they scarf down a juice box and a large bag of sugary snacks immediately after the last bell rings. The absolute last thing they want to do is sit still and learn for another hour.

2. I have no experience. Although I've gotten some advice from fellow teachers, I have never been properly trained to manage a classroom of children. There are tricks, strategies, philosophies, and standards, and I know pretty much none of them.

3. The language barrier. As I am expected to, I conduct the class entirely in English. While I speak slowly, use simple words, and lots of actions, the students don't always understand directions, information, my tone, or my jokes. It is true, I can be quite charming in English. But if your audience doesn't know what the heck you just said, what's it worth? Above all, it is difficult to practice effective classroom management (and keep your cool) when your students not only aren't inclined to listen to you in the first place, but furthermore don't understand.

4. I have no authority. Because I am only a girl they see after school for one hour per week, I have no pull. It didn't take long for my students to realize that it didn't really matter if they behaved well or not. So they don't get a tiny piece of candy at the end of class. So what? I don't have any real authority. I am not their regular teacher. I have no contact with their parents. They don't get a grade for the class. So why should they behave? What will really happen if they don't? The truth is: nothing. Nothing at all.

Then, one must ask for help or advice:

Although I had talked to my boss previously about the trouble I was having with the class, I brought the issues to her attention in a more serious way. I layed out every single challenge, and recalled the past few stressful weeks. Together, we came up with a few promising solutions.

Starting this week, I will begin to have contact with the parents in order to instill a stronger sense of authority and implement a way to communicate the students' progress. After each class, I will record grades for that day's lesson, including participation, respect for the teacher, and respect for others. Then, the parents will have to sign the page in order to ensure that they saw it.

She also spoke to the Director of the school, and he is now at the ready to help resolve the classroom management issues. He told me to assign homework and give periodic tests so that the students take the class seriously, and also to add a little more structure to the class. The Director also said that he will talk to the parents personally so that they are aware of the issues, and are also at the ready to help resolve the problems.

Additionally, I had lunch with a fellow teacher from my course who is a teacher for real (degree and everything) and has lots of experience with kids. He gave me lots of good tips including ideas for better classroom management techniques (he taught me it is better to REWARD good behavior than to punish bad behavior, so I will modify my blue paper system to stickers on a poster board system), and some ways to keep the kids physically moving throughout the class (gotta burn off that after school snack!). He also gave me some general positive reinforcement and cheering up, which was much appreciated.


Finally, implement and analyze the results:

Sure enough, my regrouping efforts proved to be quite effective. I made the adjustments, the Director talked to the parents and the students, and we had a great class.  They behaved much better, had positive attitudes, and we even had some fun. Things seem to be looking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment